Its for your own good part 3
On February 2nd 2009 Gemma Thoms reportedly swallowed several ecstasy tablets while attending a music festival, mistakenly believing they would be detected by drug dogs.
Gemma, a 17-year-old trainee hairdresser, died after collapsing in 36C heat at the festival, held at Perth's Claremont Showground on Sunday.
Her friends have told police that before entering the venue, she panicked and swallowed three ecstasy tablets she was carrying because she feared the drugs would be detected by police dogs.
NSW Greens MP Sylvia Hale said she had repeatedly warned governments about the likelihood of a death similar to that of Ms Thoms if sniffer dogs continued to be used at such events.
She said a 2006 report by the NSW Ombudsman had concluded the dogs were ineffective.
But West Australian police today said Ms Thoms had nothing to fear as there were no drug detection dogs at the festival, apart from dogs being used by railway police at the Showground rail station.
``There may have been a perceived fear of being detected,'' Inspector Wayne Silver told AAP.
See earlier posts on this subject